About us

At The Old Bakery we are passionate about the business and want our customers to have a relaxing and enjoyable visit.

Like anywhere the day at The Old Bakery starts with breakfast, it is often said it is the most important meal of the day, we certainly believe it is, which is why our imaginative buffet table followed by a freshly cooked breakfast utilising top quality local produce is consistently commented on by our guests.

In the evening The Old Bakery is a community bar that provides its customers with the very best, whether it is beers & wines served to the highest standard, activities for our customers to enjoy and good conversation uninterrupted by intrusive TV’s and loud music.

At night, our guests will experience rooms that are appointed to the highest standard with an imaginative range of beverages and top quality toiletries. So, at the end of the day you can expect a comfortable and peaceful night’s sleep.

The History of The Hotel

Many people in Kenilworth remember the building when it was Fancotts Bakery & Tea Room “makers of the celebrated Kenilworth Sponge Cakes”. The bakery was established by David Fancott in 1825. It was an institution with Kenilworth folk who celebrated numerous events at the Bakery, one of our staff had his wedding reception upstairs in the function room. In the mid 90’s the bakehouses came to the end of their useful life and the owner sold the business to Terry Smith who spent the next couple of years building new bedrooms to the rear of the main building. The 400 year old grade 11 listed building at the front on High Street was carefully renovated to ensure the character remained. As a result of the high standard of work The Old Bakery was given a new lease of life and is now a feature of the Old Town part of Kenilworth.

About Kenilworth

It is surprising that Kenilworth is not better known when you read it’s history. Along with its castle it is certainly worth spending some time exploring.

A settlement existed at Kenilworth by the time of the Domesday Book of 1086, which records it as Chinewrde meaning “farm of a woman named Cynehild”.

Geoffrey de Clinton (died 1134) initiated the building of an Augustinian priory in 1122, at the same time as he initiated the building of Kenilworth Castle.[3] The priory was raised to the rank of abbey in 1450 and suppressed in the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the 1530s. Thereafter the abbey grounds next to the castle, were made common land in exchange for common land that Robert Dudley, 1st Earl of Leicester used to enlarge the castle. Only a few walls and a storage barn of the original abbey survive.

Just off Coventry Road in Kenilworth is a field called the Parliament Piece. It is traditionally said to be the site where Henry III held a Parliament in August 1266, while his troops besieged Kenilworth Castle, where the late Simon de Montfort’s followers, led by Henry de Hastings, were still holding out against the king’s forces. This Parliament led to the Dictum of Kenilworth: a settlement that offered the rebels a way of recovering the lands that the Crown had seized from them. One copy of the Dictum is endorsed in castris apud Kenilworth — “in the camp (or castle) at Kenilworth”. Members of the public have free access to Parliament Piece, which is owned by the Open Spaces Society and leased to Warwick District Council.

Elizabeth I visited Robert Dudley, 1st Earl of Leicester at Kenilworth Castle several times, the last of which was in 1575. Dudley entertained the Queen with pageants and banquets that cost some £1,000 per day, presenting diversions and pageants surpassing anything ever before seen in England. These included fireworks.